[lbo-talk] Iraq Intifada (Democracy Now!)/ANSWER

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Apr 7 14:15:54 PDT 2004

Is this Professor AS'AD ABU KHALIL under the influence of ANSWER with his binary thinking about one front and national-Sunni-Shiite unity facing the U.S. colonial invaders ?What does he think this is , Harlan County ?

CB

^^^^^^

nathan wrote What's wrong? The stupid binary idea of a "unified Iraqi people" rising up against the US. It's classic WWP binary analysis-- there are two sides and only two sides in every conflict, there are no mediating interests, no complications. Ex-Baathists, Al Qaeda-allied jihadists, and Iraqi Shiite fundamentalists are all the same, all anti-imperialist fighters on the same side.

-clip- AMY GOODMAN: Professor AbuKhalil, what about this idea of the US fighting on two fronts against Sunnis and Shia?

AS'AD ABU KHALIL: Well, in fact, it could very well be one front. Yesterday, I watched detailed coverage on Al Manar TV and Al-Jazeera, and what struck me is that one correspondent for Al Manar TV said that when he was covering the events in al-Sadr City, which is predominantly Shiite, and in al-Azamia, which is Sunni-dominated, he said a lot of the fighters in the streets were insisting on national unity, and some of the slogans being chanted emphasized that Sunnis and Shias fight together. So I would say that the blunders of the United States may do the unthinkable, which is to unite the resistance into Sunni and Shiite alike.