[lbo-talk] WMNF in Tampa

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Apr 8 06:45:56 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 11:44 PM, Maria Gilmore wrote:

> And in a recent post ChuckO was putting broadcast radio down as a
> dinosaur
> medium.
> Au contraire, bucko. Not only does a decent broadcast television
> signal
> and the facilities
> that go with it to make use of it cost a fortune or two, aside from
> that,
> more people listen
> to the radio every day than watch TV.

All very true. (Except that all too many people do get a high proportion of their news from TV, which is very sad). The contrast between the expense of radio and TV can be seen in the respective public networks: NPR, while not nearly far enough left for us lbo'ers, of course, does at least now and then provide some useful information, because it is not so dependent on big corporate sponsors and wealthy donors in local communities, whereas PBS (except for an occasional program) is almost uniformly disgusting, because it takes a fortune or two, as you say, just to put it on the air.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile