[lbo-talk] WMNF in Tampa

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at highstream.net
Wed Apr 7 20:44:44 PDT 2004

Steve +ACY- Yoshie,

Thanks so much for posting that MNF webcasts live, too+ACE- Duh, I should have done that. Starting to get hot 'n' humid around here, it fogs my brain until I adjust...Christian, I actually live in Bradenton, btw, north of Sarasota and +ACI-south of the Skyway+ACI-. I am told that I am not alone in feeling nervous crossing that thing (the Sunshine Skyway they call it, and they painted the cables yellow, trying to make it cute or something)+ADs- it spans Tampa Bay and it arcs to God-knows-how high in the center, and they charge you a buck each way to endure a serious bout of acrophobia. At least, in me. Fortunately the view up there is quite stupendously beautiful, to distract one from their hyperventilating... Oh, ok, here's the deets: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/wonder/structure/sunshine+AF8-skyway.html

Yoshie also wrote: +AD4- On September 11, 2001, we (activists in Columbus, OH) called a +AD4- meeting of activists as soon as we got news of the terrorist attacks...+ADw-snip+AD4- +AD4- Since we were among the first groups in the nation to organize +AD4- against anti-Arab/Muslim hatred, violation of civil rights and +AD4- liberties, and war (even before Washington named Afghanistan as the +AD4- first nation to be attacked in the name of +ACI-war on terrorism+ACI-) after +AD4- the terrorist attacks, we......got interviewed by a number of radio hosts +AD4- nationwide. Among the radio hosts who interviewed us, the nicest was +AD4- Mabili Ajan+AO0- of WMNF.

Mabili has his own hour-long talk show Fridays at 1pm Eastern time. And not only is MNF still around, they've just recently broken ground on a custom-built building that they say will have not only state-of-the-art studios but be as enviromentally up-to-date and renewable-resource-powered as possible. And attractive and comfortable, too.

If we had a few more community stations like MNF or WORT in this nation, it would mean a lot.

And in a recent post ChuckO was putting broadcast radio down as a dinosaur medium. Au contraire, bucko. Not only does a decent broadcast television signal and the facilities that go with it to make use of it cost a fortune or two, aside from that, more people listen to the radio every day than watch TV. People listen first thing in the morning getting ready for work, they listen on the commute, they listen AT work, they take it with outside. Practically everyone listens to radio at some point during their day. It's the most user- friendly mass medium there is, frankly, and it's the least-expensive to own. Don't tell me about satellite radio or cable or the Net...they cost money to access, and that's always going to be a bar for low-income people. Non-commercial community radio is such a grass-roots thing, hundreds of thousands of apps were made to the FCC for very-low-power frequencies+ADs- a radio station for your neighborhood+ACE-

Maria