[lbo-talk] Belated invasion: Vietnam, the video game

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 8 07:41:52 PDT 2004

The US war aim in SE Asia in the 60s and 70s was to turn aside "the threat of a good example" -- a Third World country that wanted to run its economy for it own purposes. Since the 1950s the US had said that the primary threat of communism was the economic transformation of communist states "in ways which reduce their willingness and ability to complement the industrial economies of the West." To prevent that, we dropped twice the ordnance the US used in all of WWII on *South* Vietnam (our supposed ally). It worked -- now Vietnam begs for Nike factories, and the US is actually in charge. --CGE