[lbo-talk] Belated invasion: Vietnam, the video game

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Thu Apr 8 15:54:58 PDT 2004

> the industrial economies of the West." To prevent that, we dropped twice
> the ordnance the US used in all of WWII on *South* Vietnam (our supposed
> ally). It worked -- now Vietnam begs for Nike factories, and the US is
> actually in charge.

Vietnam's doing just fine these days, thanks to a feisty developmental state. Annual per capita incomes in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are closing in on 2000 EUR, and lots of East Asian electronics and assembly firms are jumpstarting the industrial base. I think Vietnam's biggest foreign investor is actually Singapore.

-- DRR