[lbo-talk] Belated invasion: Vietnam, the video game

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 8 13:36:37 PDT 2004

Todd:

> Oh, come on, Woj. It's hardly an American thing; I see that sort of
> behaviour all the time in role-playing games here in Canada (and I see
the
> same thing with other gamers around the world): big
> guns/swords/lasers/robots/whatever. It's a pleasant fantasy that
comes from
> feelings of powerlessness and anxiety, I think; almost every
adolescent and
> pre-adolescent gamer goes through this sort of thing in gaming, and
some DO
> grow out of it . . . . What's wrong with playing at being tough just
for
> fun? To get your mind off your problems?

It is the matter of degree to which this attitude poisons not just a single person's mind but entire collective consciousness. Some time ago I had a chance to look at the results of a study conducted by the criminologist Dane Archer at UCSC - in which he asked US and British adolescents to provide a likely outcome of a fictitious scenario involving some sort of conflict. The outcomes supplied by British adolescents featured a great deal of emotions and verbal exchanges - while those supplied by US adolescents featured mainly gory violence, usually involving weapons.

Of course, representativeness of the sample is a serious concern - but the picture of people infatuated with violence - or rather violent spectacles - seems to me like a fair picture of the US society.

Wojtek