[lbo-talk] A Calculated Provocation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 12 06:55:51 PDT 2004

MOTECK1457 at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 4/8/2004 11:13:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>dhenwood at panix.com writes:
>

>But "Death to Jews!" and not "End Israeli state terror!" isn't ok by me.
>
>Doug
>
>Doug - I wonder what you would think of a slogan that said:
>
>"End Israeli State Terror and Palestinian Suicide Bombings!"
>
>("and" is such a useful word for supplying context and connections!)

I don't like suicide bombings; they're immoral and ineffective. But: 1) Israel is the oppressor in the relationship; 2) they're doing their oppression with U.S. money and weapons; and 3) the Palestinians' resort to suicide bombing is a symptom of the absolute desperation of their situation (and if you believe otherwise, you have to believe in some primary barbarity of Palestinians that exists prior to political or social circumstances). So if the "and" in this case is supposed to imply a moral equivalence, I don't like the slogan.

Doug -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040412/f60a1e0d/attachment.htm>