[lbo-talk] A Calculated Provocation

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Apr 12 12:30:28 PDT 2004

Re: [lbo-talk] A Calculated ProvocationDoug wrote:

> I don't like suicide bombings; they're immoral and ineffective. But: 1) Israel is the oppressor in the relationship; 2) they're doing their oppression with > U.S. money and weapons; and 3) the Palestinians' resort to suicide bombing is a symptom of the absolute desperation of their situation (and if you
> believe otherwise, you have to believe in some primary barbarity of Palestinians that exists prior to political or social circumstances).

I don't understand 3). Suicide bombings are a consequence of the political culture of some groups of Palestianians. As is often the case with terrorism, they're a response to perceived injustice (the perception is often veridical). The actual terrorists amongst the Palestinians tend to be the least desperate.

-- Luke -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040412/5ec3ddde/attachment.htm>