[lbo-talk] A Calculated Provocation

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Apr 12 07:30:10 PDT 2004

On Sunday, April 11, 2004, at 10:53 PM, MOTECK1457 at aol.com wrote:

> "End Israeli State Terror and Palestinian Suicide Bombings!"

In other words, end the whole mess!

I don't know about Doug, but I'm definitely for it. Of course the problem is, in this sort of situation, getting both sides to stop simultaneously. Neither one wants to stop before the other one.

What I have noticed in this particular controversy is that, anytime anyone advances a slogan like this which is addressed to both sides, the advocates on both sides denounce it, precisely because it is neutral. Supporters of Israel say, "Israel is the victim -- the Palestinians have to stop clobbering us!" And the supporters of the Palestinians, of course, say just the reverse.

I sometimes think the only way it will stop is for both sides to stop considering themselves as victims, obsessing about how the other side is making them suffer, and begin to think about how they can *help* the other side. But that would require a true religious conversion, which I know is not about to happen.

It is always easier to talk about religion than to actually do it.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt