[lbo-talk] Why Democrats Can't Blame Bush for 9/11

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Apr 12 14:18:55 PDT 2004

Why does this make Americans idiots?

The public is ready to be pissed at anyone who exploits 911 for political purposes. Bush got major flack for using images of 911 in his initial campaign ads. I think most Americans (rightly) understand that it was a combination of factors that led to the 911 attacks and that stopping individual acts of terrorism is very hard. So blaming Bush for allowing 911 to happen is a loser politically.

But subtlely raising the issue indirectly does help focus attention on where opponents can attack Bush, as the article indicates, namely on his failures AFTER 911. Bush's fixation on Iraq and his incompetency in pursuing a war that has alienated the world is a reason many people are turning against Bush.

So I think the American people have this one right. Don't play blame games for 911 itself-- have a real debate about what we should have done and need to do now to protect Americans from terrorism in the future.

Nathan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 4:56 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Democrats Can't Blame Bush for 9/11

Man, sometimes it's hard to escape the conclusion that many Americans are fucking idiots.

Doug