[lbo-talk] Why Democrats Can't Blame Bush for 9/11

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Mon Apr 12 14:49:55 PDT 2004

On Monday, April 12, 2004, at 05:28 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>> So I think the American people have this one right. Don't play blame
>> games
>> for 911 itself-- have a real debate about what we should have done
>> and need
>> to do now to protect Americans from terrorism in the future.
>
> Oh, there's something so exasperating about American "niceness"
> sometimes. Don't blame Bush, don't get too personal, let's be
> constructive, let's not look back, etc.

I think the point is to blame Bush for something which is clearly and obviously his fault. Post 9-11 stupidity qualifies--pre 9-11 sloth does not.

What's the point of charges if you can't make them stick? This isn't the legal system, where "you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride" (as a lawyer once told me). This is politics.

All the best,

John A