[lbo-talk] Re: Bush invaded Iraq because...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 12 15:58:13 PDT 2004

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>I'm surprised to see you write this dismissively about the US concern for
>control of oil, Doug. Bush & friends didn't scheme to invade the Congo,
>with far more enormities than Iraq (and of course no one in the USG --
>with the possible exception of Bush himself -- really thought that a
>threat from Iraq was the motive). Chomsky quotes Eisenhower-era comments
>about Saudi oil's being "a stupendous source of strategic power, and one
>of the greatest material prizes in world history," and that's no less true
>now. After WWII the US elbowed Britain (and France) aside to control
>Mideast oil, staged the paradigm CIA overthrow in Iran to secure it, and
>grew increasingly exercised on the subject in the Reagan years when the EU
>looked like moiling about in the Middle East -- or even establishing
>independent energy sources in Russia. I think one could argue that a
>paramount US concern in reducing the Russian economy to Third-world status
>(GDP smaller than Brazil) in the 1990s was to be sure that Russian gas and
>oil were rightly guided. And it would be difficult to explain the US
>support for Israel since 1967 if weren't for Israel's being the cop on the
>beat to guard against domestic radicalism in the oil-producing states. I
>know neither you nor I think that US policies vis-a-vis Israel are the
>result of the occult and irresistible influence of the pro-Israel lobby...

Let me try this one more time. The Bush admin may think all these things about the control of oil; I'm trying to determine how accurate and rational their beliefs are. As I've said, I don't get the economic payoff, except maybe in the narrow sectoral sense that some specific oil companies might benefit, but not U.S. capital as a whole. (The not-a-dime's-worth-of-difference crowd will resist this, because there can't be much difference between Bush and the others.) I'm skeptical of the strategic payoff, since the strategic exercise of this control would be an act of war, and if you're going to wage war, it's a lot more efficient to go after your target country than to try to "control" the producing regions. I'm not persuaded by quotes from Chomsky; just because he says something doesn't make it true, nor am I persuaded that 50-year old quotes from Ike are relevant to the state of the world in 2004. It seems to me that a lot of these arguments come from people on autopilot.

Doug