As'ad AbuKhalil/ Re: [lbo-talk] real or photoshop?

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 12 20:41:00 PDT 2004

Steve sent a photo which I thought was more likely than not to be genuine and not a photoshop manipulation, http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1103170/posts, which in his habitual sarky style, he could not even imagine it to be real. "But the scale of faking and manipulating is so much greater now in the environment of the pixel, which invites alteration," said Fred Ritchin, the author of "In Our Own Image: The Coming Revolution in Photography" (Aperture, 1999). http://www.aperture.org/books_titles.php

My point about CAIR (and remember that Sami Al-Arian of USF and Islamic Jihad, close friend of Grover Norquist at the same time as he led a sub-committee of NION, registered tons of Arab-Americans to vote GOP in 2000) was that there are rightist sectors as well as centrist and leftists in the org.

Frontpage has, as expected, much material, hostile, yes, of coarse, on CAIR. The #'ers of figures that they have pointed out in the leadership ranks of the org at local levels and national w/ upfront connections to Hamas, Hizbollah and Islamic Jihad, is more than enough to make a rightist like Steve Emerson or Daniel Pipes make alot of agitprop. Enough for a lefty like me to take note too.

I pointed out AbuKhalil as Yoshie had a few days before. His blog is worth a look though Juan Cole is much better. He would not make the comments about Che did that AbuKhalil did on his. Cole is not a romantic.

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Sent: Apr 12, 2004 9:37 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: As'ad AbuKhalil/ Re: [lbo-talk] real or photoshop?

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>http://www.frontpagemag.com/
>
>Symposium: The Left's Attack on Bush
>By Jamie Glazov
>Laurie Mylroie, Victor Davis Hanson, Matthew Yglesias and As'ad
>AbuKhalil battle it out on why the Left has so much disdain for the
>President. More>

etc.

Again I have to ask - what was the point of this? A bunch of links to Front Page in response to a photo?