[lbo-talk] Fw: Re:"Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism as it is a merge of state and corporate power." -Benito Mussolini

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 08:11:12 PDT 2004

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=1400040949&view=excerpt Chapter 1 Introduction The Invention of Fascism New book by Robert Paxton, "The Anatomy of Fascism."

-----Forwarded Message----- From: Chip Berlet <cberlet at igc.org> Sent: Apr 12, 2004 6:30 PM To: QUACK WRAPAQUACK <wrapaquack at hotmail.com>, Benjamin.Balak at Rollins.edu,

LLang944 at aol.com, steve-rosenthal at cox.net, hvandenburgh at bridgew.edu,

jannuzi at mint.ocn.ne.jp, lynx44 at prodigy.net Cc: psn at csf.colorado.edu Subject: Re: S'hite he said : how's this for size ?/

Hi,

Alleged quote:

"Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism as it is a merge of state and corporate power."

-Benito Mussolini

This quote is probably a hoax quote. It is not in any translation I can find of Mussolini's article on Fascism in the Enciclopedia Italiana (1932), to which it is generally cited.

I have tracked down the original 1935 English version of Mussolini's pamphlet:

Mussolini, Benito. 1935. "The Doctrine of Fascism." (Firenze: Vallecchi Editore).

This is cataloged by some librarians as a translation of Mussolini's (apparently with Gentile) article in the Enciclopedia Italiana (1932).

A longer booklet which contains "The Doctrine of Fascism" as a chapter is:

Mussolini, Benito. 1935. "Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions." (Rome: 'Ardita' Publishers).

The quote above does not appear in either booklet. I asked a scholar in Europe to find the quote in the Enciclopedia Italiana (1932), and he said he could not find a sentence that translates into the quote above. Until someone who reads Italian, and checks the Enciclopedia Italiana (1932), and finds there is a sentence that can be accureatly translated into the above quote, I think it should be considered a bogus quote.

Mussolini was writing about cross-class corporatism, not business corporations. His article makes it clear that under Fascism, state power is absolute.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatism

Chip Berlet