[lbo-talk] Why Democrats Can't Blame Bush for 9/11

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 13 11:30:08 PDT 2004

Doug:
> Dunno, but it's perfectly circular and enclosed, isn't it?

Yes, and tantalizing too. There are arguably many good things about the US society that even detractors must admit - one of the narrowest gender gaps, one of the best access to higher education (despite high sticker prices for elite institutions), one of the highest per capita income (despite glaring inequalities) and, I may add, one of the greatest openness to outsiders (frankly, I do not think I would get where I am in, say, Deutschland, France or the U.K.). But how are those good things are supposed to remedy the bad ones?

Or, taking a slightly different point of view, if some things are so good in this society, how come that the other suck so badly? Why one of the highest per capita income or educational attainment did not translate into rational land use and transportation, cost-effective and accessible health care system, constructive foreign policy and just society?

Or taking yet another viewpoint - it is understandable when a "small pissant country" (to quote Nixon) has dismal living standards, high poverty rates, poor health care system, underdeveloped transportation infrastructure, high levels of social inequality, violence etc. But if the world richest and most powerful country experiences the same problems - that is unexcusable.

Wojtek