[lbo-talk] "Unsuccesful" Insurgencies: A Right Wing Blogger Shoots Himself In the Foot

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 13 13:10:30 PDT 2004

> mike larkin wrote:
>
> >hilarious.
> >

><http://tacitus.org/story/2004/4/13/94026/2288>http://tacitus.org/story
/2004/4/13/94026/2
> 288
>
> How do you know he's wrong already?
>
> Doug

Au contraire, I think he has a valid point which I tried to make on this list time and again - that popular movement or insurgency have a slim chance of success unless aided by a state or conversely, unless the state it opposes collapses under external forces (cf. tsarist Russia).

I do not think there is a single instance of a successful un-aided popular uprising against a functioning state.

Wojtek