[lbo-talk] "Unsuccesful" Insurgencies: A Right Wing Blogger Shoots Himself In the Foot

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 22:42:28 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood:

> I wasn't reacting to his historical analysis, just the idea
> that the U.S. couldn't defeat the insurgency in Iraq. At
> this point, who knows?

I agree. But it appears that the Iraqi Arab majority is now up in arms. The question is whether a permanent leadership will emerge to keep the rebellion going despite military setbacks, which are inevitable. If that does happen, the US will lose. It will only be a matter of time -- how long will be at least partially up to us. I think the stakes really are that high, and the "stay-the-course" crowd in the US -- including the liberal wing of the establishment which was skeptical of the war to begin with but now sees a "successful" occupation, preferably with a UN figleaf, as a necessary point of "national honor" -- is visibly nervous for just that reason. It's hard to resist feeling the schadenfreude in all this -- in fact, I don't even try.

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!