[lbo-talk] Unthinkable == Victory

Brad Mayer Bradley.Mayer at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 14 00:14:55 PDT 2004

Bully Boy Backs Down (for the time being, you know how bullies are).

From http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,9276758%5E1702,00.html

"Everyone against America would celebrate, proclaiming our weakness."

"America" here is a symbol for the global power of capital (of course!).

"The consequences of failure in Iraq would be unthinkable"

They certainly are for Kerry. An unthinking ruling class "smells like victory" to me.

The Iraq events have fired revolutionary hearts worldwide.

Americans 'drop demand for handover of killers in Falluja atrocity'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1191295,00.html

Contrary to Negri, we live in a post-Empire era where imperialist atrocities that were routine in the past can now be held in abeyance - because now their potential for atrocity occurs in 'realtime'.

Nevertheless, we saw the onset of massive atrocity in the hundreds of civilians deliberately and cold-bloodedly killed by the "brave" Marines in Falluja, Guernica of our own time. "Keep their honor clean", indeed.

"As a proud, independent people, Iraqis do not support an indefinite occupation, and neither does America," he said.

Here the Boy Emperor concedes a tactical defeat, and gives a nod to growing splits within the ruling class (i.e. 'America').

"Sadr, he insisted, must disband his militia and answer the charges against him in connection with the killing of another cleric."

A step back from simply 'killing or capturing' Sadr.

I smell retreat. I smell blood. Let's go on the offensive!

"We're carrying out a decision that has already been made and will not change."

Well, we knew that already!

bond market is starting toi "Iraq will be a free, independent country"

Now _that_ decision has 'already been made'!

"..and America and the Middle East will be safer because of it."

We shall see...I doubt it.

But Bully Boy better call his Daddy in Tokyo, 'cause the US treasury bond market is starting to tank (watch this! Currently Nihon Ginko buys some 40-odd % fresh US Treasury offerings).

-Brad Mayer