[lbo-talk] Kyoto = Death Camp (seriously!)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 04:25:17 PDT 2004

Talk about rhetorical overkill.

Apr 14 2004 11:38AM Illarionov calls Kyoto Protocol interstate gulag, Auschwitz ST. PETERSBURG. April 14 (Interfax-Northwest) - Presidential economic adviser Andrei Illarionov has sharply criticized the Kyoto Protocol, an international agreement to cut greenhouse emissions, saying it will "stifle economic growth" in many countries and calling it "an interstate gulag or Aushwitz."

The Kyoto Protocol is one of the finest examples of intervening at the level of interstate regulation, Illarionov told reporters in St. Petersburg.

The Kyoto Protocol "has very many negative implications," Illarionov said. "First we wanted to call this treaty an interstate Gosplan, but then we realized that a Gosplan is much more humane, so we should call the Kyoto Protocol an interstate gulag," he said.

"In a gulag, people were at least given the same rations, which did not lessen from one day to the next, but the Kyoto Protocol proposes decreasing rations day by day," he said.

"The Kyoto Protocol is a death treaty, no matter how strange this seems, because its main purpose is to stifle economic growth and economic activity in countries that assumes obligations under this protocol," he said.