[lbo-talk] Aspect of India's Econ Report: The Real State of India'sEconomy

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 03:40:28 PDT 2004

Ulhas wrote:

Sorry, I don't want to get into a debate with the Maoist perspectives. _I am not saying that everything they write is false._ IMO, it's waste of time to try to engage with Maoism. If you have specific questions, I will try to answer them.

========

Yes, I understand.

Their politics aside though, I was wondering what you (and other knowledgeble oberservers of the Indian economic scene) thought of what appears to be their central argument: the Indian economy's apparent boom is not what it seems and does not benefit the majority of the population being built largely upon speculative capital that could flee in the blinking of an eye.

My impression is that this is a caricature and, factoring in the usual capitalist enforced inequalities, some real (and really distributed) economic growth is occuring. At this point though, I must admit to not really knowing enough to say for certain one way or the other.

A few (a very few) Americans said similarly skeptical things about the 1990s boom here and were, as just about everyone knows by now, proven right in time.

.d.