[lbo-talk] A Calculated Provocation

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Apr 16 16:03:55 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

> When has Israel ever followed through with any proposal? Why do people
> like Blair and Shrub constantly say, "If such and such happens, there is
> a real possibility that the world capitalist system will bring peace,
> happiness, prosperity, and glory to the entire human race"?
>
> The amount of effort the pundits are putting these days into trying to
> convince us that this Sharon plan crap is a major step forward is
> amazing. And I hope everyone caught what Gen. Meyers said -- the
> increasing attacks on the US and allies in Iraq just proves how
> successful they have been, because it means that there is more success
> to be attacked. I suppose that means that, the more successful they are,
> the more fighting they will do. Lovely success that is!

I'm reading Ward Churchill's new book titled "On the Justic of Roosting Chickens." In the section on the U.S. history of flouting and disobeying international law, it seems like every other entry is an example of the U.S. sticking up for Israel, or at most supporting UN resolutions with no teeth.

Reading this book at the same time as Cockburn's book on the politics of

anti-semitism is enough to make anybody a die-hard anti-zionist.

Chuck0