[lbo-talk] A Calculated Provocation

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Apr 16 23:04:52 PDT 2004

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>>I'm reading Ward Churchill's new book titled "On the Justic of Roosting
>>Chickens."
>

>>Chuck0
>

> Does Churchill describe how the working people in the towers deserved to die
> so horribly at the hands of theocratic thugs?

Nope. The 'little Eichmanns' comment was written by John Zerzan in Anarchy magazine.

Here is the relevant paragraph from the book:

"The implications of this were set forth in stark relief during the aftermath of 9-1-1, when it was first suggested that a decided majority of those killed in the WTC attack might be more accurately viewed as 'little Eichmanns'--that is, as a cadre of faceless bureaucrats and technical experts who had willingly (and profitably) harnessed themselves to the task making America's genocidal world order hum with maximal efficiency--than as 'innocents.' The storm of outraged exception taken by self-proclaimed progressives to this simple observation has been instructive, to say the least. The objections have been mostly transparent in their diversionary intent, seeking as they have to focus attention exclusively on janitors, fireman and food service workers *rather than* the much larger number of corporate managers, stock brokers, bond traders, finance and systems analysts, etc., among those killed."

"A few have complained of the 'cold-blodedness' and 'insensitivity' embodied, not in the vocations pursued by the latter group, but in describing their attitudes/conduct ashaving been in any way analogous to Eichmann's. Left unstated, however, is the more accurate term we should employ in characterizing a representative 30-year-old foreign exchange trader who, in full knowledge that every cent of his lavish commissions derived from the starving flesh of defenseless Others, literally wallowed in self-indulgent excess, playing the big shot, priding himself on being 'a sharp dresser' and the fact that 'money spilled from his pockets...flowed like crazy...[spent] on the black BMW and those clothes--forgetting to pack ski clothes for a Lake Tahoe trip, dropping $1,000 on new stuff," and so on. As a 'cool guy' with a 'warm heart'? A 'good family man'? Just an 'ordinary,' 'average' or 'normal' fellow who 'happened to strike it rich'? How are we to describe Eichmann himself?"

(page 19, On the Justice of Roosting Chickens, Ward Churchill)

Chuck0