[lbo-talk] Kerry Heckled for Opposing Withdrawal of US Troops

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 17 21:43:42 PDT 2004

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>
>>From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>
>>
>>I think there is plenty room between indefinite occupation as bunker
>>head hardliners want, and immediate pullout as pie-in-the-sky peaceniks
>>suggest. An orderly transfer of power to a legitimate Iraqi authority
>>(rather than a US puppet), perhaps under the auspices of an
>>international body (UN? Arab League?) would be a preferred option in my
>>book.
>
>... I can never understand what incentive there is for a multilateral force
>to volunteer to replace the US and get *its* ass shot off instead. I think
>you need to check your realpolitik meter.
>
>Carl

Recast in Key Iraq Role, U.N. Envoys Are Wary

By WARREN HOGE

Published: April 18, 2004

UNITED NATIONS, April 17 — The United Nations, once snubbed and excluded from the task of shaping Iraq's future, suddenly finds itself pressed to play the major role in that effort, but it is taking up the task with some foreboding.

"There is a mixture of vindication on the one hand and great apprehension on the other," said Edward Mortimer, a senior aide to Secretary General Kofi Annan.

Mr. Mortimer contrasted the recent calls for assistance from President Bush with the disparagement he said the United Nations had become used to from the administration. "It's quite nice when you've been generally dissed about your irrelevancy and then suddenly have people coming on bended knee and saying, 'We need you to come back,' " he said. "On the other hand, it's quite unnerving to feel you're being projected into a very violent and volatile situation where you might be regarded as an agent or faithful servant of a power that has incurred great hostility." ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/18/international/middleeast/18NATI.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Watch LIVE baseball games on your computer with MLB.TV, included with MSN Premium! http://join.msn.com/?page=features/mlb&pgmarket=en-us/go/onm00200439ave/direct/01/