[lbo-talk] Kerry Heckled for Opposing Withdrawal of US Troops

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Apr 18 03:36:05 PDT 2004

On Fri Apr 16, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> I think there is plenty room between indefinite occupation as bunker
> head hardliners want, and immediate pullout as pie-in-the-sky peaceniks
> suggest. An orderly transfer of power to a legitimate Iraqi authority
> (rather than a US puppet), perhaps under the auspices of an
> international body (UN? Arab League?) would be a preferred option in my
> book.

Wojtek, if your only stipulation is that the immediate pullout should be orderly, that's not an objection. It's a friendly amendment that puts you squarely in the peacenik camp.

The only real problem with the "troops home now" slogan is that it sounds so petty and uncaring that it embarasses even the troops. The right slogan would be "Let Iraq Be Free Now." And if someone asks you want that means, say Let them vote and let them decide. That's very hard to argue within the American moral framework. Saying it's not our business, we're evil -- those things call out tropistic opposition. They're rhetorically design to repel people.

Who makes our slogans anyway?

Michael