[lbo-talk] Hardt clarifies

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:48:45 PDT 2004

Dwayne said:

>American thinking (even among the left) hasn't caught
>up to the fact that all roads no longer really lead to
>Washington or Manhattan, despite the obvious continued
>power and influence of these centers.
>
>The Bush administration's dangerous power plays,
>designed it seems, to halt decline, have only
>accelerated a trend which is unfolding but might have
>taken longer to mature: the developing global project
>to create a non-American centered world.

Two thought hit me while reading this:

First: if these countries and/or blocs are going to start making end-runs around the States, how long will it be before they start getting seriously "in each others' way" a la early twentieth-century imperialism? I can't imagine one single pole springing up, around which all the others but America "play nice" with each other. More I think about it, more it seems like we're in a bad re-hash of the early 20th.

Second: at least this might get the anti-American crowd in the "left" to start taking a more nuanced look at capitalism if their own countries start getting their hands dirty, the way the States' have been as global bully boy.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines