[lbo-talk] New Yorkers

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 21 15:17:51 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] Pew study of poll accuracy
>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Tue Apr 20 16:02:59 PDT 2004
<snip>
>And it was NYC that was attacked on 9/11, and we (no quotation
>marks) were among the least bellicose people in the U.S. People in
>the heartland, who are more likely to get hit by a tornado than a
>747 or a dirty bomb, were the ones really out for blood. Human
>nature is a very plastic thing.

According to Census 2000, 27 percent of the population of New York City identified themselves as Black ("Census 2000 Supplementary Survey Profile: Population and Housing Profile: New York city, New York," <http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Products/Profiles/Single/2000/C2SS/Narrative/160/NP16000US3651000.htm>). Census 2000 also tells us that 36% of New Yorkers were foreign born and that 48% spoke a language other than English at home (Andrew Beveridge, "Changing New York City," June, 2002, <http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/20020601/5/121>). My hypothesis is that Blacks, the foreign born, and native-born Americans who have foreign-born parents were on the average much less in favor of bombing Afghanistan in irrational response to the 9/11 terrorists, none of whom was an Afghan, than native-born whites who have lost all subjective bonds with their ancestral lands a long time ago. If a pollster compared native-born white opinions in New York City and the heartland, it is possible that there was little geographic difference. I recommend quotation marks around "we" in "We New Yorkers" pending further research. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>