[lbo-talk] that Marine photo

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Wed Apr 21 14:27:35 PDT 2004

Unless the investigators can get the original data still in the camera (I'm assuming it's a digital camera) they can never know for certain if it has been altered. I have a copy downloaded from the net and it does not have any obvious signs of being Photoshopped. I work with Photoshop for a living and feel I am as capable as almost anyone else of making such a determination. It could be a very professionally done alteration but generally people playing stupid pranks wouldn't spend the necessary time to do such a job. Most alterations are done at a level that anyone with very basics skills could achieve. My feeling is this is genuine but I doubt anyone will ever know for certain. Finding irregularities in the underlying code of a digital image is a process still in it's infancy and cannot be reliably used to ascertain the validity of a digital image. I also expect the Marines to come out with a statement saying they know or believe the image is altered just to cover their boys ass. Most people will take them at their word.

John Thornton