[lbo-talk] Re: Golomb, J. and Wistrich, R.S., eds.: Nietzsche, Godfather of Fascism? On the Uses and Abuses of a Philosophy.

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 11:11:28 PDT 2004

Yawn. Go do something more relevant, like learning to, use, the comma.

Michael Pugliese <michael098762001 at earthlink.net> wrote:I read Walter Kauffman's, post WWII book in high school. The very epitome of consensus liberalism, sanding off the rough edges, attempting to make Nietzsche into a safe centrist. When I mentioned the Kauffman to a friend in college who went on top get a PhD @ UCSB, writting on Wittgenstein, he had a good chuckle. I just did a search on Kauffman at the JSTOR. Just as eclipsed as Erich Fromm, which I found a paper on by using as keywords, Nietzsche fascism." And, I doubt you've read any of the contributors to this latter volume, esp. Berel Lang or Sander Gilman, on anti-semitism and the Holocaust. Both are excellent, as is Wistrich. Explin away this (alas unattributed) quote from Nietzsche from 1880, "Satisfaction of desire should not be practiced so that the race as a whole suffers, i.e. that choice no longer occurs, and that anyone can pair off and produce children. The extinction of many types of people is just as desirable as any form of reproduction." Pg. 212, Anti-Semitism: A History, " by Dan Cohn Sherbok, Sutton publishing, 2002.