[lbo-talk] Re: Golomb, J. and Wistrich, R.S., eds.: Nietzsche, Godfather of Fascism? On the Uses and Abuses of a Philosophy.

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Apr 22 14:46:18 PDT 2004

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, at 01:13 PM, Michael Pugliese wrote:

> Explin away this (alas unattributed) quote from Nietzsche from
> 1880, "Satisfaction of desire should not be practiced so that the race
> as a whole suffers, i.e. that choice no longer occurs, and that anyone
> can pair off and produce children. The extinction of many types of
> people is just as desirable as any form of reproduction."

I'm not familiar with this quote, and without an attribution I don't know what the context was, but given the way old Fred thought and wrote, you very frequently see him tossing out all sorts of provocative ideas and half-baked notions, probably just for the hell of it. He was not the world's most systematic thinker. Unlike some who think of him as an oracle of truth to be devoutly worshipped, I think he had some interesting things to say and a lot of stuff that was frankly not worth the paper it was written on.

Consequently, I don't think there is any reason to explain away this quote. I'd just ignore it. Fred's thinking gun fired another blank.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile