[lbo-talk] New Yorkers

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 22 20:19:44 PDT 2004

SergioL652 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/22/2004 12:41:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> chuck at mutualaid.org writes:
> Yes, that conversation took place in Kansas.
>
> Chuck0
> Chuck0,
>
> Johnson County is not Kansas. However, I agree with you. I lived in
> Overland Park in 1991 and it was pretty progressive (comparatively speaking of
> course). Must have been all the KU graduates. My wife and I could not stand it
> though, too yuppie. So, of course we moved to New Jersey!

Yes, Johnson County is not Kansas, but it has become far more liberal than when I left here 15 years ago. You chalk it up to KU graduates. I'd chalk it up to the influx of people from outside of the region.

If you come across county-by-county maps showing presidential election results for the Kansas City region, take a close look at them. There have been some interesting changes.

Of course, Kansas is not exactly liberal country. Several of our representatives are right wing extremists. Congressman Jim Ryun is a right wing pro-life nut. In fact, I counterprotested one of his pro-life marches at the University of Kansas back in the mid 1980s.

Dumbest bumper sticker spotted around here:

"If Mary had been pro-choice there wouldn't be any Christmas."

Chuck0