[lbo-talk] Lockdown NYC

JW Mason j.w.mason at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 25 14:24:46 PDT 2004

From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org>

> Ah can't talk about it-- I love how such tactics feed democratic debate on
> the progressive side on strategy. Aside from the fact that I think a lot
of
> modern direct action is ineffective and alienating, the need for secrecy
> just encourages centralized undemocratic leadership-- oh yeah, it's all
> "non-hierarchical" but in practice it's a small group scheming and a bunch
> of folks implementing as directed at the last moment.

Yep.

Unfortunately it's not just anarchists who have this problem. There's something seriously screwy about the whole Ruckus-style approach, which teaches how to rock-climb and set up tripods and get arrested but nothing about knocking on doors or phone-banking or, you know, talking to people. Seattle led a lot of smart people down a blind alley, IMHO.

Josh