[lbo-talk] Lockdown NYC

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Apr 26 09:26:56 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org>
> Anarchists by your definition are inherently anti-democratic.

>More nonsense. Anarchists are the most demoratic of political tendencies
>and have a solid record of working openly and democratically with other
>groups. If democratic processes are so important to people here, perhaps
>you should dicuss the anti-democratic process of ANSWER, which makes
>huge decisions for the anti-war movement without input from that
>movement.

You know I critique ANSWER regularly. Anarchists and ANSWER can both be undemocratic, in different ways.

>Or take the AFL-CIO,
>which unilaterally decided in Miami to make agreements with the police
>over the objections of other activists.

Labor has been criticized for years for such unilateral decision-making. But at least they have the numbers within their ranks to justify some degree of feeling that they represent a mass constituency for decision-making.

-- Nathan Newman