[lbo-talk] War and Peace

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 00:53:32 PDT 2004

By the way, in contrast to Nietzsche and Heidegger, Keynes regards the "Will" that "works unwittingly, As one possessed not judging" as a "nightmare" rather than as human "authenticity." In appropriating the insightful treatment of this in "ancient tragedy," he also appropriates its claim that "the most precious of our possessions is the power to reason wisely."

Ted --- This is a somewhat inaccurate depiction of Heidegger's view of the Will (I assume we are talking post-Rektoratsrede here). The triumph of the will/subjectivity is what makes the modern world the Destitute Time for Heidegger, the time that is so destitute that it does not even recognize the loss of God as being a loss. It's the nadir of the Seinsgeschichte.

I don't think Heidegger even really read Nietzsche until the early 1930s.