[lbo-talk] Muslims, Christians clash in Indonesia; 2 killed

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 27 09:06:24 PDT 2004

Jon asked:

> This article makes it sound as though it is a purely religious clash,
> but I wonder if there are fundamental economic or other non-religious
> issues involved, as we have seen in other parts of the world where
> "religious" conflicts have occurred?

You are right to wonder. Indonesia is more like a "Javanese empire", re-configured from the Dutch East Indies, than a typical nation state. one of the few things which holds it together is the lingua franca of the region, Bahasa. There are huge regional differences, generally characterised in some cases by culture/race (West Papua), religion (some islands are majority Christian or Hindu), and in others by perceived economic neglect (the islamists/separatists in Aceh). Add to this that there is little in the way of regional autonomy (never mind federalism). Through weight of numbers and also as a result of economic history, the Javanese dominate politics and the economy. Java also happens to be one of the most densely populated places on earth, and there has also been significant migration between islands, especially out of Java.

Grant.