[lbo-talk] Jon Stewart too comfy with Henry the K

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 27 09:30:32 PDT 2004

[Kurt Andersen interviews Lizz Winstead <http://www.motherjones.com/arts/qa/2004/05/04_100.html>]

KA: Speaking of The Daily Show, I'm always impressed by how comfortably Jon Stewart interviews Kissinger or even Richard Perle.

LW: Jon's tremendous. I feel, though, when you are interviewing a Richard Perle or a Kissinger, if you give them a pass, then you become what you are satirizing. You have a war criminal sitting on your couch-to just let him be a war criminal sitting on your couch means you are having to respect some kind of boundary.

KA: On Air America, would you give a pass to Al Sharpton?

LW: I don't think so. [But] that's a different case, because you make a decision based on Tawana Brawley, and that's a tired story.

KA: But Vietnam happened longer ago. Cambodia happened longer ago.

LW: I think that illegal bombings and massacres have more weight.

KA: So did that disappoint you, when Jon Stewart was nice to Kissinger?

LW: I don't mean that you would necessarily need to grill Kissinger. But to let it go.Š

KA: So you should jokingly say, "Say, Dr. Kissinger, what about those 2 million dead CambodiansŠ?"

LW: Exactly! As a way to say something. To me, it seems like the elephant in the room.