[lbo-talk] Jon Stewart too comfy with Henry the K

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Apr 27 11:11:22 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, April 27, 2004, at 12:30 PM, Doug Henwood quoted:

> KA: So you should jokingly say, "Say, Dr. Kissinger, what about those
> 2 million dead CambodiansŠ?"
>
> LW: Exactly! As a way to say something. To me, it seems like the
> elephant in the room.

i have to say, i've thought something along the lines of the same thing. i've been very uncomfortable watching him interview people like perle and kissinger. i couldn't even watch the interview with perle (i had to turn it off), but watching some of his other interviews, he does manage to question their assumptions and even get in the occasional quick jab (something like, "say, dr. kissinger, what about those 2 million dead cambodians?).

while i'm not sure i understand why some of these people want to be on the show, i think of it as kind of "conservative corner" on the daily show (like some caricature political anthropology -- the strange and evil thinking of strange and evil people). if he can perfect that technique of the humorous jab that can't be deflected and for which there is no effective riposte (see michael's post on experience), it could be really good.

but maybe i'm just sticking up for him and he doesn't deserve it on this point.