[lbo-talk] RE: Four Stagnations

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Apr 28 16:02:43 PDT 2004

d writes:

"The synapses fire for nanoseconds; you're equal to this challenge. Headcount must be reduced, surely the workers will understand..."

For sure. A non brainer. Last week's Barron's featured a cartoon showing six execs sitting around a board room table. The head exec is saying to the other execs "We can fire 12,356 workers, or one of us has to go." (Amazingly, Barron's cartoons are getting a little radder lately.) But actually the cartoon, with its implications of weighing the pain of one vs the pain of 12,356, is still off the mark. Because the exec (who is never fired) will walk off with many millions of dollars and will never have to work again, whereas the 12,356 will walk of with nothing or close to nothing and then go from there, competing for jobs with 12, 355 others, equally as desparate.

Lovely! Love the fucking market! How could we do without it?

Joanna