[lbo-talk] cuffing granny

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 28 17:49:47 PDT 2004

[via Sam Smith's Progressive Review <http://prorev.com>]

POST CONSTITUTIONAL AMERICA http://www.local6.com/news/3245574/detail.html

CHANNEL 6, HIGHLAND PARK, Texas - Police in the Dallas suburb of Highland Park handcuffed a 97-year-old woman and hauled her to jail in a squad car last week for having an expired registration sticker.

Police said they have a no-exceptions policy. Everyone gets treated the same -- arrested, handcuffed, and taken to jail -- even on minor traffic warrants. Dolly Kelton was driving herself to the beauty shop when she noticed the flashing red lights in her rearview mirror. Kelton was arrested after she neglected to pay a previous ticket for the same expired sticker. "I just overlooked it, which I never should have done," Kelton said. . .

Police booked her into jail like any other criminal, Kelton said. "They fingerprinted me and took all these pictures of me," she said. She was in police custody for about two hours before her attorney arrived and she was released on her own recognizance.