[lbo-talk] Advice:

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 29 08:56:09 PDT 2004

Hari Kumar wrote:

> Re San Fransisco: Where would lefties go for:
> i) Books
> ii) Second hand books - Political ones
> iii) Murals-art of the Rivera & of the America schools? Including
> today's new movements??
>
> Other generally enlightening things to do??
> Thx in advance Hari

Somebody already mentioned Modern Times which is on Valencia Street. My favorite book trip to the Mission involves taking the Bart to the 16th and Mission station, getting a burrito at Pancho Villa on 16th Street, and then strolling down Valencia. I noticed in March that there seem to be more bookstores on Valencia since my last visit. There is a used bookstore on 16th, across the street from Pancho Villa. Everybody's favorite sex store, Good Vibrations, has moved down Valencia so that they are closer to 16th street. Don't forget Bolerium.

If you go over to Haight-Ashbury, visit Bound Together Books, which is a long-standing anarchist bookstore. Haight Street also includes The Booksmith, which is an example of all those general independent bookstores that existed before Borders. There are also some interesting little bookstores along Haight, including a tatoo parlor with a good magazine rack.

Nearby, on Clement Street, you should visit Green Apple Books, which includes what I think of us one of the best used book collections in the Bay Area.

No book trip would be complete without a trip to City Lights Books (261 Broadway and Columbus). Don't forget to check out the upstairs and downstairs.

If you go over to Berkeley, head for Telgraph Avenue near the Berkeley campus. Cody's is a great bookstore for new books and magazines. Moe's is a huge used bookstore.

Have fun!

Chuck0