[lbo-talk] Re: perot vs nader (or, naderphobia continued?)

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Apr 30 07:53:41 PDT 2004

> Isn't it mostly because more people share Perot's politics than Nader's? I
> mean for all the complex reasons leftists don't win elections yet, there's
> really no getting around the fact that a lot of people don't agree with
us.

> Liza

Well, culturally, we've more or less won, as many rightwingers concede (corporate co-optation, however, shakes everything down to a brownish powder). It's in the political sphere, primarily foreign policy, where we struggle. But even there we've seen results. It's tough to blast through all that mainstream conditioning and brain-washing -- miles of very hard rock. Presidential politics will be the last place we'll have any real effect, simply because, unlike Perot, we don't play to the comfortable self-image that most Americans have. And one of the prez's jobs is to continually flatter the masses into behaving and remaining politically idle. Telling people to struggle for their true freedom inspires them to switch the channel to ESPN or Lifetime.

DP