[lbo-talk] Cultural Change?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 30 19:25:00 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>Not much. On the first point, for instance, greater participation
>of women in executive ranks has simply proved that women can be the
>same mega-assholes in business that men can be. Ditto women in the
>military; it was very impressive seeing that at least one female US
>soldier joined in sexually taunting those Iraqi POWs.

Sorry to descend into the old standpoint business, but that's easy for a straight white guy to say, isn't it? Women aren't just asshole CEOs - in fact few of them are - but they are a lot less dependent on men. There's a large black middle class that didn't exist a couple of generations ago. In many place, two men can walk down the street holding hands without getting the crap beaten out of them. People fought hard for this - don't disparage their accomplishments.

(By the way, my aunt-in-law Jane Mansbridge is writing a book called Everyday Feminism. She's going to argue that while organized feminism has declined since the early mobilization, it continued to pervade private relations. Her theory is that early phases of social revolutions are organized, but they perpetuate themselves in daily life afterwards.)

Sure the U.S. is a rampant imperial monster, but it's been that way for a long time. But there's a lot more internal opposition to it now too. What opposition was there when we were abusing Haiti or Nicaragua in the early 20th century? Overthrowing governments in the 1950s? It took years for the antiwar movement to get going in the 60s; now it was going before the war started.

Doug