[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Aug 1 20:29:46 PDT 2004

I don't think so. Both Yoshie and Carrol said something like a foetus is a polyp...and eventually...when we're all enlightened, we'll all think so too.

I said something like the following:

A woman might have an abortion:

--because she was raped --because she is too ill to have a baby --because the foetus is too damaged to survive or having some desired quality of life --because it might ruin her figure --because it interferes with her career --because she can't afford to feed another child --because she cheated on her husband and it will be apparent whose kid this is --because she'll lose her job if she gets pregnant --because she's too old to have a child --because she's too young to have a child --because the foetus is the "wrong" sex etc.

There are as many "reasons" to abort a child as there are to have one. Some of these reasons are acceptable to some; some are not. As absurd as the reason is, right now, allowing anyone to decide other than the mother is a second-best solution. Therefore the mother must decide. To say that no matter what the reason for the abortion, the mother must "rightfully" feel pride or self-empowerment or grief or anger or whatever is absurd. That's what I'm saying.

Joanna