[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 2 06:41:04 PDT 2004

Chris Doss wrote:

> Babies only smile when they are conditioned to? Balls.
> My son smiled and laughed when he was 3 months old.
> Apart from me, his mother and his sister,
> he didn't hang with many people. So where did he learn
> this "electromagnetic" response?

And the three of you locked him into a dark closet, never made a sound around him, used mechanical claws to reach through a slit in the wall to change his diapers, never stroked his cheek, never, never, once, let him see a human smile or feel a human touch. Right?

In that case the smile was just "hardwired," but if you failed to keep this distance from him, then obviously his social reactions were just that, _social_ reactions. "Conditioned" is not a very illuminating term for that.

Carrol