[lbo-talk] No Bounce for Kerry

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Aug 2 15:43:44 PDT 2004

And note, some of the big differences between the poll numbers are whether they poll "likely voters" versus "registered voters." Kerry has a much stronger lead in polls surveying registered voters. Since there is a lot of effort to turnout people who don't regularly vote, and register new people who are likely excluded completely from many of these polls, I actually trust the polls showing a higher lead for Kerry.

It's not giant, but the reality is that roughly 45% of the likely voting population has completely committed to one candidate or the other. Of the remaining 10% of likely voters, Kerry has grabbed a few extra votes, but seems to have a wide opportunity to make inroads into the infrequent and currently unregistered population who are much more favorable towards his candidacy.

Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 6:33 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] No Bounce for Kerry

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>The latest US polls found that Democratic presidential candidate
>John Kerry has managed what few before him have done: he walked away
>from four days of party cheerleading in Boston without creating a
>post-convention "bounce" of public support.

You will amend this entry to include the ABC/WP poll, right?