[lbo-talk] Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 3 15:11:16 PDT 2004

Charles Brown wrote:

> Is marriage a situation that enhances sex and pleasure attainment ?

Probably not, but it certainly enhances the probability that if your companion is injured in an accident the police will let you know what hospital he/she is in. And so forth. And as I understand the law, you can't be compelled to testify against your spouse, but that protection would hardly extend to a live-in companion. There are a number of important rights that go with marriage but would not go with civil unions. Medicare is available to spouses, not to companions or (I assume) to those who have "civil unions." Also social security pensions. Also . . . . .

Carrol