[lbo-talk] Progressive taxation vs flat tax

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 20:47:10 PDT 2004

Does anyone know of a URL, essay on the web, or anything like that, that sums up elegantly the position that Americans in higher tax brackets ought to pay proportionately more in taxes than those in lower tax brackets?

I got into a debate with someone who claimed they made close to $200,000 a year and hated paying so much in taxes [hence my question earlier to the list about how many households made that much; had nothing to do with Kerry or the DNC]. Of course, like every rich bastard, no matter their family background or actual working experience, they "worked their asses off" for it, "scrimped and saved," and all that. They said they were being penalized for "being successful" and at MOST, to them, there should be a flat tax rate for everyone regardless of income. I'd love to point them to an essay that explains the wisdom of progressive taxation.

Thanks,