[lbo-talk] Progressive taxation vs flat tax

Terry Ross trtrtr at charter.net
Thu Aug 5 04:44:40 PDT 2004

I would also like to hear suggestions along these lines.

I get that there are questions about the possible usefulness of such info. Though it is true that there are people out there for whom presenting such an argument is a waste of time, I would respectfully ask that assumptions about a potential audience or my judgment of that audience not be the issue.

B, when I read your question I thought of it in context of white privilege and racial justice issues. Have you seen the book _Economic Apartheid in America_? There are some great graphics that illustrate inequalities in wealth inheritance and distribution. It doesn't have much specifically on progressive taxation, just more or less paints a picture of the inequities, almost takes outrage for granted and then discusses strategies for correction. Here are the folks who put it out: http://www.faireconomy.org/ Here is a section from their site called "Winning Responses to Tough Tax Questions": http://www.faireconomy.org/econ/state/Talking_Taxes/index.html

This is my first post to the list after lurking for 6 months or so... guess I'm feeling brave this morning.

Terry