[lbo-talk] Bush "looking for new ways to harm our country"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 5 16:09:36 PDT 2004

<http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=2137613>

Bush says administration seeking "new ways to harm our country" Aug 5, 2004 Associated Press

WHITE HOUSE It's another entry in the long catalog of Bushisms.

Signing a defense spending bill, President Bush declared America's terrorist enemies "never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people" -- then he added, "And neither do we."

The president went on to make his larger point -- that America's leaders must be "forward-thinking" and never stop pondering how best to defend the nation.

Bush often admits to being linguistically challenged -- and asked about the comment, Press Secretary Scott McClellan said, "Even the most straightforward and plain-spoken people misspeak."

But the spokesman adds that Americans know Bush speaks "with clarity and conviction" on such matters -- and he says the terrorists know what Bush means.