[lbo-talk] Tariq on my show last night

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Aug 6 19:31:51 PDT 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Even as I was typing "Aziz", I was thinking, in my head, "Ali" (whose
> work I know well) yet continuing to type, for some completely odd
> synaptic misfire reason "Aziz".

Don't worry, you're in good company:

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2003/2003-April/012385.html

GREAT CORRECTIONS OF OUR TIMES

New York Times - April 20, 2003

WEEK IN REVIEW DESK

An article last Sunday about the disappearance of Saddam Hussein and the fates met by other dictators misidentified a prominent and elusive supporter of the Baath Party. He is Tariq Aziz, Mr. Hussein's deputy prime minister. (Tariq Ali, an author, does not support the Baath Party.)

<end excerpt>

To be honest, I don't think there's one of us raglessheads who hasn't made an absurd mix up Arabic names at least once in our lives. At least we don't do it in our intelligence reports! As for example:

http://www.juancole.com/2004_06_01_juancole_archive.html#108797915390057606

Michael