[lbo-talk] Progressive taxation vs flat tax

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Aug 7 13:53:11 PDT 2004

> You say the merchant remits the sales tax to the
> government. How can you interpret this as other than
> the merchant paying sales tax?

You can do it by going to a place where there are sales taxes and no sales taxes in close geographic proximity and then comparing retail prices: I assure you, the consumer is paying the tax. Try Portland Oregon, for instance.

> Are the retailers unanimous in their admiration for sales tax? If it
> doesn't cost them anything then they ought to be. You sure they
> wouldn't prefer to change the mix to other taxes?

Have you compared places that charge sales tax with those who sell on the Internet and avoid having to charge it (in a lot of cases) ...? Retailers are against sales taxes, because they get blamed for them.

And that "costs" them something.

/jordan